To be awarded to a student holding or looking to hold a position of leadership at a tertiary college or hall of residence in Australia. The Merit Scholarship will be awarded to the applicant who shows the greatest propensity to contribute back to NAAUC. The purpose of the Merit Scholarship is to give a student the chance to engage in the study of a trend of phenomenon in Australian university residential communities and distil the findings of this study to a summary that can be utilized by NAAUC and its member residences – to add to NAAUC’s accessible knowledge base. The Merit Scholarship is to the value of the full delegate fee.
Applicants need to include the following in their application:
- Submit a 1-2 page proposal on the chosen topic of study about college life which you wish to investigate and report on during the NAAUC conference.
- Explain your personal suitability for the scholarship.
- A reference from your President or Head of Residence/Dean, whichever is most relevant to your current role.
- Personal interest in improving the college experience nationally.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research and effectively communicate findings.
- Proven commitment to improving the residential community environment through their achievements thus far at their own residence.
The successful applicant will be required to:
- Give a short (10 minute) presentation at the AGM summarizing their findings on the proposed topic of study.
- Submit a 2000 word report on the topic of study to be included in the post conference kit.
- Exhibit behaviours during the conference that exemplify NAAUC’s values.
- Be willing to participate in discussion with Heads of Residences and other administration delegates on the topic of their research.